If you are recently switched to Windows 10, and the performance is very terrible, booting speed is very slow, Don’t worry. Here are some simple tweaks to speed up windows 10 and make it super fast. These tweaks helps to improve the performance and boot speed of the Windows 10 PC and Laptops. Once you complete all these steps, you can notice the performance gain of Windows 10.
Let’s see the tutorial to speed-up windows 10 and make it super fast.
1) Go for a fresh installation instead of upgrading Windows 10
The first tip is not a tweak. Just a recommendation. Since Windows 10 comes up with lots of new features to satisfy the end-user, it contains lots of new code. Even though Microsoft offers a simple and easy guide to upgrade, downgrade Windows 10, Its always recommended to go for a fresh clean installation by fully wiping the OS drive. Few advantages of installing brand new operating system.
- No Junk files – It avoids unnecessary files from the older operating system
- Clean Registry – Registry will not come without errors from previous OS
- No bloatware and trial software’s from previous operating system
- In clean installation, user will be installing the apps necessary for him
- New installation will solve all software as well as hardware errors
- Rate of failure while installing a new OS is less
- Product activation may fail while upgrading to Windows 10
Let’s see how we can speed up Windows 10 after installing it.
2) Disable Animation and transition effects to speed up Windows 10
Disable All Windows animations and transition and smooth scroll effects. Turning off windows animations help to free-up additional RAM used for the smoother effects and will increase the speed of Windows 10. To do that,
Goto Settings – “Ease of Access -> Other options” and turn off “Play animations in Windows“. This settings will disable all animations.
3) Disable Selective animations and shadow effects
You can also disable selective animations by disabling them manually (one-by-one). To do that Go to System properties on Windows 10 (Window key +R – type “sysdm.cpl” and press enter key).
Click on Performance settings button. Under visual effects, choose “custom” and uncheck the below animation features.
- Animate controls and elements inside windows
- Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing
- Animations in the taskbar
- Enable peek
- Fade or slide menus into view
- Fade out menu items after clicking
- Show shadows under mouse pointer
- Show shadows under windows
- Show translucent selection rectangle
- Slide open combo boxes
- Smooth-scroll list boxes
- Use drop shadows for icon labels on desktop
4) Remove unused build-in apps (Modern apps)
Just like few android OEMs, Windows 10 comes with modern apps as well as desktop apps. Example, Skype, Pictures Viewer etc. Most of the Windows 10 power user won’t use these modern apps. Uninstalling modern apps are very easy. Open Start Menu and click all apps. Right-click the app icon of your choice and select “Uninstall”. That’s it. Repeat the same steps to remove all unused built-in apps.
You can also navigate to “System -> Apps & features“. Select desired app and click on Uninstall.
5) Selective Startup – Remove unwanted windows startup entries
Selective startup improves the boot time of Windows 10. Users can feel the difference in boot-time once they disable all the unnecessary software’s from preloading. This step also applicable to speed up Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
- Open task manager ( Right click on task bar and select task manager)
- Goto startup tab in the task manager app
- Disable all the unnecessary apps. That’s it.
6) Disable Auto Color Pick and Transparency options
Auto color pick is one of the new features in Windows 10. Windows 10 will pick an accent color from background. It also displays it on start menu, task bar and action center.
If you don’t like this feature, you can disable it. Right click on desktop and navigate to Personalization -> Colors” page. Turn-off all the features you don’t like and save.
7) Disable few background services
Disable few of the always running services in the Windows 10, known as background services. This step will improve the performance of Windows 10. Just right at the “Start Menu” and select “Computer management”. Under services and applications, disable the below services.
- Distributed Link Tracking Client
- Program Compatibility Assistant Service
- Portable Device Enumerator Service
- Remote Registry
- Secondary Logon and Security Center
- IP Helper,Offline Files
8) Clear Temporary files from Browser and System
Use a free third party tool like CCleaner to optimize the registry and delete temporary files from browser. Use the registry cleaner to remove and optimize the junks from registry. Also clean all application cache and junk using the options available.
9) Disc Cleanup Windows 10 – Free up disc space
If you are upgraded to Windows 10, the installation files and previous windows installations will be kept in the OS drive. The previous installations helps to downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1 or 7. If you do not want to downgrade your Windows 10, running disc cleanup is the recommended option. It will almost free up more than 10GB of files. Once you perform disc cleanup,reboot your PC. Free disc pace in the OS drive always helps to perform Windows 10 to cache and process files faster. So the performance will improve.
10) Keep Windows updates Up-to-date
Keep updating your Windows 10 PC daily basis or weekly basis. So that your Windows 10 will have all the security patches, bug fixes and performance improvements. Also make sure, your Windows defender or third party antivirus has up-to-date virus definitions. So that malware and viruses won’t affect your Windows 10 and slow downs performance.